Saturday, October 23, 2010

Shanker 5/3/1 Week 3

This is the "1" week, namely the intensity peak.

Squat (Tues)
Link to video
315x5
meh. squat form varies from very good to sorta shabby based on how much time I can spend with my pvc pipe in the days leading up to squat day. In this case, clearly not enough. Cut this short as I realized this had turned into a set of GM's.

MP (Thurs)
145x4

Deadlift (Fri)
410x3
460x6

My tribute to Danny/Vogelpohl. Thoughts? (primarily concerned with the beanie, but DL critique is welcomed as well)

BP (Sat)
235x4
meh.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And just for shits and giggles, here is a link to my squat and DL circa Nov. 09. Good lord...
DL 335x5 (note the really skinny Chris doing squats in the background. hehehe)

SQ 265x5 (what is this crap?)

So this concludes the first cycle of 5/3/1. I don't know that I've had any epiphanies...
For my next cycle I'm going to change:
-my DL assistance to mid-shin pulls at a slightly higher intensity.
-higher intensity BBB bench assistance.

That's really it, as I abide by the same thing I've been yelling at JC and Aaron about.

12 comments:

  1. Holy shit I squat deep. Also I look just as goofy now as I did then...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to fix the falling forward in your squats. But you can't argue with the progress in only a year's time. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's actually because I fall BACK. Hence, overcompensation forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I forgot what you were yelling at me...tell me again?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What squats? 315x5? All I see is someone helping a straight-leg push-down ab workout...

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Aaron That you shouldn't change too many variables at once.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you're pretty much exactly where I was around the time of the August '09 meet (maybe a little ahead on deadlifts, a little behind on bench). Nice. I'll give you 15 months to catch up.

    For squats, I agree with Nate that you're a little too bent over at the bottom, but I won't venture a guess as to why. And, as an aside, I can normally stay focused at the gym, but those girls in the background are a little...distracting.

    Deadlifts looked solid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Frank
    I'll have to go back and look at your logs, but if this is the case it's quite encouraging.

    I noticed these girls, what the hell are they doing?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here's what I could find.

    http://mitstrength.blogspot.com/2009/08/frank-august-1-heavy-upper-95-week.html
    http://mitstrength.blogspot.com/2009/08/frank-august-2-heavy-lower-95-week.html

    I think they were doing those leg-raise things where you throw the other person's legs to the ground in order to make it harder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That girl is always doing some athletic stuff liek jumping on boxes and doing lunges & stuff. I asked her once if she was done using the bar. She said no.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have a strange urge to make a stripper/pole joke.

    ReplyDelete
  12. -- Shit, I saw this post yesterday, didn't have time to comment, and in the meanwhile Brian has already written my standard joke in this case.

    -- Strong lifting, especially on the 460 x 6 DL. Like Nate said, you are falling forward (i.e., torso angle becomes too low). This happens because, when you are coming out of the hole, your hips move up faster than the bar is traveling up (for the first few inches). Technically speaking, there is no "falling", just the appearance of this. But regardless, at least from where the camera is standing, your form didn't deteriorate to the point where you had to stop. Maybe it felt differently under the bar.

    -- That beanie doesn't add (or take off; Frank and Nate confused me) much weight to the bar. With some flames on it, 480 x 6 should be easy.

    ReplyDelete