Monday, November 23, 2009

Brian - Proof that I Used to Lift Competitively

I use "competitive" in the loosest sense of the word. Basically I went with some of the other kids on the wrestling team that were into powerlifting. I hardly knew anything about lifting except the high speed gut-wrenching stuff we used to do before/after practice.

I think I did about 5 competitions. I can't remember my weight class but at this time I was wrestling 125lbs (I know -- anorexic small).

I was going through old photos yesterday and I dug these bad boys up (6 or 7 years old now). Looks like I used to go sumo style and back rounding has been a hobby of mine for a long time:

Picture 1

Picture 2

9 comments:

  1. Damn cool, 295 on deadlift, must have been 9-10 times your body weight back then.

    What makes me a little concerned is the fact that you still lift in the same pair of wrestling shoes. Your kicks must be the host for numerous lifeforms not yet discovered...

    I let Nate comment on your rounded back. Danny, please be aware that Brian always pulls this way, only his stance is conventional now. "Call an ambulance"...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, those shoes are classics! Although I do need to finally commit to new ones since I wore holes through them :(

    I might end up with some blisters after practice this week and that will finally kick my ass in gear.

    Maybe we should keep 911 on speed dial?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A rounded back sumo is much less acceptable. And you look scary skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Nate; at first I just saw a loaded bar magically hovering in the air, only later I realized that there was actually a person holding it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rene -- these photos are fake. It's easy to see that someone used photoshop, especially the negative resize at the middle. No one is that skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just glad I showed up on pic #1. I thought the side profile would be like looking edgewise on a piece of paper.

    And I'm working on that skinny thing. I feel a lot more healthy at 165 than I did at 125.... and hopefully I'll feel even better at 195!

    Kik, where are your competition pics?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Even I was never that skinny. I think my thinnest was 135 at 5'8". 125 at 6' (?) is just scary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice Brian! Huge deadlift at that weight. Also, I thought I look young... this was 6-7 yrs ago... so that would make you <18 yrs old now? ^_^

    ReplyDelete