Monday, May 14, 2012

Frank (5/14): RTS, Volume 2, Lockout

I went to gymnastics from 7-9 then finished with some abbreviated lockout work.  Gymnastics isn't actually too hard on my muscles, but it really beats up on my joints.  Still, while it's fun, and I think I'm going to keep doing it (unless it starts to negatively affect my lifts), the squat rack is home.

I also tried to do some muscle-ups on the rings and failed miserably.  I think this is mostly because (1) I don't really know the proper technique and (2) I'm terrible at stabilizing the rings.  I don't think it's because I'm too weak, but since I am a powerlifter, I am a bit bottom-heavy, so that might be part of it.

Press
5x45, 5x95, 3x135, 1x165
2x190 @ 9
2x190 @ 9
2x190 @ 9+
2x190 @ 9+
2x190 @ 10-
2x190 @ 10

Close Grip Bench: 8, 8, 7 @ 230
Tricep Pushdown: 10x70, 10x80, 1x90

4 comments:

  1. For muscle ups I found that I became able to do it on rings at +100 lb chin for 1 rep w/o much specific training. A front lever is waay harder strength wise. I think the muscle ups are something like 50-50 technique and strength but I haven't really focused on them before so the balance probably shifts to 70-30 or so with more practice.


    Two main things to keep in mind are false grip and keeping the rings close to your body. The false grip is more important; if you don't have that then I think youd need almost a bodyweight wrist curl or something to get the wrists above the rings or a very explosive pullup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also the stability comes really quick.

      Delete
    2. For a slow muscle up I trained the transition with band assistance.

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I do think it's mostly a technique thing. I'm pretty sure I could knock out 5x+90 on pullups right now, so 1x+100 should be no problem.

      I do need more practice on the false grip, but I think that's more technique than strength also. I could practice on the lower rings until I get the hang of it.

      Delete