Monday, February 27, 2012

8-6-4

I have been using an 8-6-4 template for most of my volume work for squats, deadlifts, presses and pulls for the past few weeks.

The sets go; 1 set of 8, rest ~1 minute, 1 set of 6, rest ~1 minute, 1 set of 4.

It has been working pretty well for me.  The short rest periods definetely cause muscle stimulation which makes me feel more pumped and less drained than 5x5 or something like that.  We'll see whether it leads to gains.

I haven't made much progress in the squat, deadlift or press in the past year or so, but I am definitely getting stronger.  My pulls are better, my abs are stronger and my Olympic lifts are definitively better.  I think that once  I start pushing the squats and deadlifts I'll make some progress.  We'll see how far is goes.

1 comment:

  1. I think an 8-6-4 template is what Dan John uses for novice trainees, and it basically follows the central tenets of lifting (do big lifts, add weight each time), so I don't see how it could really be wrong. You haven't really focused on the big 3 for the past half year or so, so it doesn't surprise me that you haven't seen progress there.

    ReplyDelete