Thursday, January 20, 2011

Keone 1/19

Me going to the gym with one of the freshmen in my fraternity turned into me + 3 freshmen for an epic bring-your-friends-to-work day. Too...much... Also these guys really deserve a better teacher than me (especially considering my own form needs work), so thanks to Chris/Mark for offering some tips.

Bench
175x4,F
170x3,F
165x4,F
155x3x5

I'm so dumb. I get greedy and try too much, then do another couple of sets sinking each time. I also don't leave enough rest--(don't want to keep lifting partner(s) waiting). This is embarrassing. I'm going to do 165x3x5 next time.


Squat
(warmups)
255x3x5

Still making good gains. Probably slowing to 5 lb jumps now.


Deadlift
155x5
243x5
273x5
293x5
313x5

Need to start pushing limits on this one. Also probably do lower reps and bigger jumps going into work set.

Q I want to work out with you sometime soon

2 comments:

  1. Nice work. I find that I don't worry (too much) about giving advice as long as I make clear that they should also look for help elsewhere. Besides, one of the best ways to learn is to teach, and you'll find out what works for yourself as you find out what works for others. I think it's great that you're looking out for each other.

    Nice work on all your lifts. Getting greedy is something that we all have to tackle at some point :). Were I you, I might try to deload bench a bit (start a 155 or 160 next time...something you're confident you can do) and not push the deadlift too hard, as that lift will do the most to tax your system. Besides, even at 10lbs per week, you're looking at 400+ lbs over a year (including deloads), so don't worry about insufficient progress.

    Also, I think conventional notation is Weight x Reps x Sets

    ReplyDelete
  2. But everyone calls it 3x5 (when discussing the difference between 3x5 and 5x5). I agree, reps before sets seems to make more sense... but now I'm confused.

    :)

    ReplyDelete