Friday, January 28, 2011

ASA recognition

I remember reading a while ago that some people were interested in creating an ASA-recognized club. I could see the value here... so that we could maybe get funding for some group-owned equipment (another olympic bar that rotates well for cleans/snatches, a prowler, maybe a belt to loan out to people who don't have their own, etc.) or travel to meets.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if there was still interest. I was ASA president for the past two years and I can help organize the application if we want to do it. The next deadline is February 11.


Also, I want to do the Feb 12 meet. Frank, where do I sign up? And who do I give $$ to? It sounds like we are submitting an application as a group, right?

10 comments:

  1. It would be great to make this into an ASA-recognized club. Anything I could do to help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. about ASA recogntion, or about the meet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. IF you guys are planing to participate the meet as a team, I would also like to join.
    It is a good idea to create a ASA-recognized club, if you need any help, count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, Shanker, that was a pretty cryptic response. I'm pretty sure it's not about the meet, though, since as far as I know, I'm coordinating that. My personal opinion is that whoever wants to take the initiative (wrt ASA) should just go for it.

    To enter the meet, you pretty much just follow the instructions on the entry form linked at the right-hand sidebar of this blog. The total cost should be around $100 including membership to the ADFPF and meet fees. Applications are usually submitted individually. I'll take care of the team entry part of it this time around, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. About ASA, I say talk to Mark because he's in touch with Mike Nackoul...it always lends legitimacy to your club when you have the junior olympic lifting champion on its roster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, Mike Nackoul. I think I actually made him an author on this blog, although he doesn't post. He's definitely brutally strong, and it'd be a real coup if we could get him involved in an MIT Strength Sports club.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ASA recognition would be great. Last time I investigated I thought they weren't accepting new club sports or athletically-oriented clubs, but that may have changed?

    I'm in for a team registration for the meet, I still need to send in my paperwork tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mike is a total beast.
    @Dee- the paperwork has to be sent in through mail, right? I also think I read somewhere that if its received after Jan. 31st you get a $25 fine?

    ReplyDelete
  9. "oh no a fine? Does that mean I can't compete?"

    ReplyDelete