Wednesday, September 22, 2010

JC (09/22)- Upper

Will propose day-by-day plan of training program after my post.

Bench press-
115x5
185x5
225x5
Work set-
275- 5x5
This wasn't as difficult as it was just me getting used to doing some volume work. Next week I will start off with 280.

Military press-
45x5
95x5
135x5
Work set-
165x5! PR
Whoops, I had planned to do 150 for work set, but somehow I thought 30lbs was 15lbs.
150- 3x5
150x4
Will start off with 155 next week.

Pullups-
1x8
1x7
1x6

Dips-
3x10
Pullups and dips were supersetted.

Standing barbell curl-
70- 4x10

Ab work

Proposal for plan:
Monday- Power cleans/cleans (10-15 reps), Squat, Volume Deadlift (3x5).

Tuesday- Volume Bench(5x5), Volume Military Press/Push Press (5x5, will alternate these every workout), Assistance work (Pullups, Dips, other isolation exercises).

Wednesday- Power cleans/cleans (10-15 reps), squat, Ab work.

Thursday- Military Press/Push press (5x5), Back exercises (seated rows, barbell rows @3x8), Grip work.

Friday- Squat, Intensity deadlift (2-3 triples and 1-5 singles at 85-95%+), Ab work.

Saturday- Military press/push press (3-4 triples @ 80%+), Intensity bench (3-4 triples @85-90%), Assistance work.

Sunday- Off
So far I plan on progressing on weekly 5lb increments (unless someone has a better idea) for both volume and intensity workouts. Back squats will follow the RSP routine, starting off at approximately 80% of my previous max (so 315lbs). This is the weight I will be squatting with for 3 straight weeks, with increasing volume each week. The program is basically split between two volume days and 2 intensity days. Hopefully this program looks a bit more clearer. Obviously, suggestions and comments are welcome.

9 comments:

  1. I have a few general comments:
    -- The goal of this plan is not mentioned. Maybe you wrote this somewhere else, or maybe it's obvious?
    -- More is not necessarily better, and sometimes it's much worse. Try to fit everything into 3-4 workouts per week.
    -- Power cleans / cleans: Is the objective to get stronger on these lifts? Why aren't you putting more effort into deadlifts?
    -- Since you (and me, and Frank, and anyone else here) are not a powerlifting / strength training guru, why not pick one of the well-known routines, maybe with some small modifications?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit, I forgot to write this: It's nice to write your own routines. However, why won't you ask Frank to write you something? He knows you well enough, and it's always possible to make some changes later on. Just to show that this is not disrespect in any way, with all due respect to myself, I wouldn't mind Frank (or Nate) writing my routines, at least if they were able to see me lift on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think your plan is bad, but it might be too much depending on how much you're eating and sleeping. Any individual day is fine, but
    you're basically cramming 2 weeks (or 1.5 weeks) of work into 1 week, and as Danny said, more is not necessarily better.

    @Danny: I've given JC programs a number of times, usually based on fixed programs by existing "gurus," so I think he knows *what* to do, but he kind of likes doing his own thing. Experience is the best teacher, I guess :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll probably drop the power cleans/cleans for this cycle- Danny is right, I'm not really focusing on deadlifts, and since Olympic lifting is not something I can pursue at the moment, I should just focus on things that I can really get better at.
    @Frank: I'm sleeping 8-10 hours every day and eating a bunch- hopefully that'll help me recover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A couple things...
    - 3x5 (assuming that youre consistent in this meaning 3 sets of 5) is not volume. "Volume Deadlift (3x5)"

    - Why are you doing "volume" military press two days apart? The very nature of volume implies a longer necessary recovery period.

    - Yea...honestly, there is very little chance you can pull this off. Sorry to be the one who has to say it, this is an intensity block and volume block smashed into one with power cleans to boot. If you wanna try it, try it, but if you make gains on this its not because its a solid program, its because youre a genetic freak. Which is a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danny, do you remember what you said to me when I wanted to splice the Coan DL program with some crazy ass bodybuilder split?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll also readily admit that I was wrong about you making progress on RSP and maybe this is evidence that you are a genetic freak, someone who can handle this much, but that doesn't change my overall sentiment here. At least I'm being honest with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shanker, I always appreciate your honesty- thats one cool thing about you. We'll see if this plan of mine works out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Shanker: I don't remember exactly what I said about the combined Coan / BB split, but my guess is that it was something insulting enough to convey the message. You know my (lack of) style and politically correctness, so that may have been a good strategy. However, since JC and myself know each other only electronically, I prefer to be nicer.

    ReplyDelete