Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Aaron (9/29)

Bench Press: 210lbs x3, 215lbs x3 reps x2 sets
Ab rollouts (from knees x2, half stand x1) 10, 10, 4
Overhead press: 105lbs x8 reps, 115lbs x8 reps, 115lbs x5 reps
DB rows: 85lbs x3, 95lbs x3, 100lbs x10
rotator cuff

Bench was actually hard. Oh well. I guess I'll have to work on it. Bench and OP will be my bread and butter. Someone likened push press and jerks to geared bench or an ego lift; not really helping strength. That and I plan to overhead press big anyway makes me not care too much about the push press or jerk right now. Maybe later. Ab rollouts are going to be felt tomorrow. The DB rows were kind of easy. I had no grip problems either. I think I'm going to have to get oly DB handles to pack on more weight. That and fat gripz. My plan listed above will be dissolved in favor of the one I was previously doing, which was ten day training week consisting of OP, Squat, Bench, Dead days. I will dead for assistance on squat days and bench for assistance on OP days.

One thing I will focus though is upping the intensity. I will do a 3x3 and then a 3x8 ( or two 3x5s) for the assistance. The major change will be the 3x8 will be all out stopping short of failure, just like the 3x3. Today I followed that and only got 5 reps. That is fine. With the 3x3's, I won't be sticking to the planned weight but will instead add weight if the current weight feels easy. I don't know how well it works, so I'm trying it.

Weight is probably a slightly fat 200lbs. After a hard week I almost saw my abs, then after days of chocolate and pasta I'm back to the "just after abs" phase. I'm not worried. Two year bulk remember?

4 comments:

  1. Only buy a dumbbell handle when you can rep the 120 lb dumbbells for 25+ reps.

    If these are so easy then go until your grip fails.

    Also in your previous post...how much does the fat bar weigh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin estimated it to weight 20lbs, so thats the weight I used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, my goal was just to hit another 3x3. I continued to 10 because I could, and stopped because I felt that was all I needed to do to elicit growth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also support Shanker's suggestion to wait with buying a DB handle. This is a waste of money, unless the 120s are not heavy enough. Also, make sure that in DB rows you are using a bench (with the opposite knee on it) instead of just leaning against something. This way your torso is more horizontal (which makes pulling harder) and there is less leg momentum.

    ReplyDelete