Sunday, August 1, 2010

Aaron 8/1

I'll get with the program and start dating...my gym days.

Overhead Press: 125lbs x5 reps x3 sets
Deadlift: 355lbs x5 reps x3 sets
Plate Pinches: 4 5kg plates +45lbs x10s x 3 sets, 3 4kg plates in one hand x20s
Chin ups: 40lbs x5 reps x2 sets
40lbs x7 reps
wrist curls: 45lbs x 20 reps x3 sets
reverse wrist curls: 35lbs x15 reps x3 sets
rotator cuff stuff: 15lb DBs for 15-20 reps x2 sets

Stretching via front squats and BTN presses. Good session. Awesome to see Frank again. It was my first gym day this week without coffee to help, so I'm pround. Overhead Press got a bit hard. I know I'm good for a 130 3x5, hopefully I'll make it to 135. Deadlifts were decent. I'm good for another 10lbs or 15lbs of progression before it gets to some grinding. Chins were the only lift I felt I couldn't go up today, so I did last times weight. I'm definitely going to go to 45lbs next time I chin, but pulling is always a debatable thing technique-wise.

Grip stuff so I can get my grip stronger than Shanker's. Its a grip competition. My plate pinches vs. his Kroc rows. Although I might add in Kroc rows later on...

4 comments:

  1. Hi Aaron. In my opinion, there is no need to do specialized grip work, unless you have grip problems. In powerlifting, this means that there are non-zero chances a heavy deadlift will slip out of your hands. If this is the case, a good grip exercise (which actually doesn't need any extra work) is to do all warm-up sets double overhand. For example, I'm doing this at 60, 100, ..., 220, and then switch to either an over-under grip or to wrist straps (it depends).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danny. I've been doing double overhand, and I'm starting to get problems holding 350+. I switched to hook grip in this session, and I'll probably be pulling with a hook grip at the comp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hook grip can be very painful with heavy weights. It's amazing see lifters like Koklyaev and Gillingham pull this way at the high 800s. Did you ever try an over-under grip? Does it cause some biceps / shoulders / wrists problem? Maybe you're pulling with your arms, instead of keeping them straight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just afraid of tearing what little bicep I have with an over under. Frank is slowly helping me to see that I don't have little biceps, but in fact have no biceps, which means over and under would be safe for me.

    ReplyDelete