Sunday, August 1, 2010

Frank (8/1): Squat, Volume 1

I rode to the Z at about 6mph, which was really all I could manage. I should have taken the hint and gone light, but I tried to go heavy anyway. I think my body is trying to tell me something...

Back Squat
5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x185, 5x225, 3x275, 3x315, 1x365
2x395 @ 10
Back rounded on the second rep. I was going for three, but the second was already maximal.

Deadlift
5x135, 5x225, 5x315, 3x365, 3x405, 1x455
4x495 @ 9/10
I actually felt better after this than before.

Ab Rollout: 5

Whenever I have a day like this, I wonder if I should just chalk it up to an off day or actually take a deload week/week off. In this particular case, I think a deload is warranted because I've been doing sets of 8-10 regularly for the past month or so with aggressive weight increases in order to get back to where I was. I'll restart at week 1 next Thursday and will otherwise be lifting light for the rest of the week, except for tomorrow, which will be a normal lockout day to finish off this week.

3 comments:

  1. I think that, at least in the squats, you went too heavy for volume work. If your 1RM is ~440 (just guessing), then 395 is essentially a triple at 90%. It doesn't get more intense than this. But 495 should have been feasible in DL, even for 5x5.

    I have a good alternative to a deload week, especially when I don't know if it's really needed in the first place; it's a 3-day deload. Here, I don't train at all for 3-4 days, eat huge amounts of food (even huger than regular), and add a 2-hour nap at the office. Sometimes this is much better than a deload week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank's max squat is around 405-410.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Danny: That sounds like a good idea. I'm working on the 2hr nap thing, but my boss keeps waking me up.

    @Nate: You know, on this particular day, you're probably not far off the mark.

    ReplyDelete