Thursday, August 26, 2010

08/25 5SM Shanker Upper 2

Dips
BW x 12
BW+25 x10
BW+45 x 8
BW+75 x 5

BW+95 x 4
BW+95 x 4
BW+95 x 4
BW+95 x 4
BW+95 x 3

Pullups
BW x 10
BW+30 x 8
BW+30 x 8
BW+30 x 8
BW+30 x 8
BW+30 x 8

Chins
BW+30x7
BW+30x7
BW+30x7
BW+30x7

(on thick bar...aka hanging from the top of the power rack)
BWx10x2

core work

As a random commentary on my overall training pattern:
If the first goal of any serious powerlifter is finding a program on which he knows he can make good gains, then the second goal should be making these gains consistent. What I mean by this is that I have had periods where my lifts have shot up in a very short period of time, but these have been bracketed by injuries of varying types. While understanding that it is really more a matter of when, rather than if, I would still aim to make my training more consistent over time. What's all this mean? One thing...I think the current set up that I have right now is too much volume, with too much intensity without enough of a break. All I am proposing to do now, is to increase rest time. Rather than deload every 6th week, I think it makes more sense to deload every 4th. So instead of 5,4,3,5,4, deload (as the rep patter from week to week) I shall switch it up to 5,4,3,deload, 5,4,3 etc, etc... Of course Danny has suggested this in the past, but I am a bit thick, it takes a while for the message to sink in. At this point I think this program really is at the intersection of an RTS volume block, German Volume Training and 5/3/1...but that's just more food for thought.

1 comment:

  1. -- I think it's still possible to have a deload week every 6 weeks (or even less frequently), but this requires different planning. With your approach of (usually) lifting the heaviest possible weight for the prescribed number of sets and reps, some form of reduction in volume or intensity is probably needed every 3-4 weeks.

    -- Also, I'm also guessing that 5-4-3-5-4 used to work well in the past, but maybe not now, because you learned to put more effort into each set. I can explain more on this when we talk on google chat or something.

    ReplyDelete