Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Chris - Texas Method writeup

"Things like general description of the program, before and after 3RM (/5RM/?RM) in core lifts, changes in bodyweight, equipment (with/out belt, knee wraps, etc), important remarks, and whatnot."

Rippetoe explains it better in Practical Programming, but here I go:

The Texas Method isn't really so much of a routine as it is a protocol. The concept of it is that instead of the day-to-day gains you see through Starting Strength, you attempt to make progress weekly. This is achieved through volume, recovery and intensity; that is, you start each cycle with a volume-heavy session with medium intensity, follow up with an active recovery day with low intensity and low volume, and then on the final day of the cycle, strive to hit heavy weights in a high-intensity, low-volume session. So with this idea in mind, my Texas Method styled routine to train the core lifts goes as follows:

Volume:
Squat, 5x5 (265 -> 290)
Bench Press, 5x5 (135 -> 160)
Bent-over Rows, 3x8 (155 -> 175)
Ab Roller, 3x10+ (from knees)

Recovery:
Squat (using 75% of volume-day weight), 2x5
Military Press (starting with ~80% of 5RM), 3x3
Pullups, 3x5 (+0 -> +25)

Intensity:
Squat, 1x3 (325 -> 345)
Bench Press, 1x3 (171 -> 185)
Deadlift, 1x3 (370 -> 385)

Body information:
Height: 5' 7" -> 5' 7" (damn)
Weight: 163 -> 163

Equipment:
Belt: No
Wraps: No
Straps: No
Shoes: Chucks
Suit: No

Remarks/Proposed changes:
-I think once my admittedly slow progress slows down even further, I think I'm going to stop trying to hit new max weights on bench every week in favor of alternating between bench and military press.
-I am considering swapping out the bent-over rows for power cleans (3x5) or Kroc rows.
-Volume days are hell.

Not sure what else to put down, so I'll edit in whatever I think I need to say later.

6 comments:

  1. How long were you on the TM?
    I posted about the Kroc rows before. I don't think you need to include cleans, or maybe do them during deadlift warm-up. I did them and snatches for fun on leg day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, lessee...
    1) Talked about fooding with Chris, estimating current caloric consumption is around 24-2600 calories per day. Upping to 3000 at the start of the next cycle seems like a good starting point to me.

    2) Next cycle with a belt? (via either Frank's or mine)

    3) Danny, please talk Chris out of cleans and into Kroc Rows.

    Overall progress is good, no need to change too many variables. But I'll reiterate (for everyone else, not for Chris) that upping calories and using a belt for a cycle seems like the next logical step. Other than that, this seems to be the right track for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  3. also...apparently through additional calcification or something like that...a high protein diet can actually help you grow as much as 1/2 and inch even after you have officially stopped growing. It's how I went from 5'10.5" to 5'11" last year despite not having grown since I was 16. Food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't lift heavy weights because it stunts your growth (only lifters who lift heavy weights should read that).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to evaluate for yourself, but I have personally found no carryover from military press to my bench press.

    Rene and I are both horrible at military press, and we are the only people in our group who have hit 300 lb benches in competition.

    Oh the other hand, plenty of elite benchers train military press and lot and are very good at it. But don't blindly include it in your program unless it actually helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. -- I don't think your progress is slow; it's not super fast, but you're going in the right direction. If you are willing to put on some bodyweight, you could theoretically get stronger at a faster rate. On the other hand, you will compete against heavier lifters.

    -- Your volume day is not that bad. It could be a lot worse. For example, at some point in time I was doing 75 working reps (counting only core lifts and variations) four times per week.

    -- Like Nate said, it's not 100% clear that military presses will have direct effects on your bench press. Obviously, stronger shoulders will be helpful, but I can also think of reasons why putting lots of effort into this may not be a good idea. So just try and see if this works for you. In my case, there is some rotation between push-presses, military presses, and seated DB presses, usually for 4-5 sets of 5-8 reps (once a week). But this is always a third exercise after bench presses (various grip width) and lockout work.

    ReplyDelete