Sunday, January 10, 2010

Frank (1/10): RTS Volume, "Lockout"

Not really a lockout day, since I didn't do any lockout work.

Bench, Speed Workups
8x2 @ 165 @ 7
(1, F)x270 @ 10
I lost the 270 a few inches from lockout. In retrospect, I probably should have done 85% (255) instead of 90% (270) for the heavy set because I already knew that something was up with my bench for this cycle. The 165 sets were pretty speedy.

Pause Bench (~2 seconds)
5x185 @ 8
5x185 @ 8
5x185 @ 9
4x185 @ 10*
5x185 @ 9
Pause squats have been working really well for me. They've given me much more confidence in the hole, and they've also helped me improve my technique. I am hoping that pause benches will do the same thing for my bench.

For the fourth set, I had someone (Steve, ex-parkour dude, some of you may know him) help me count. When I say 3-2-1-Go, I mean about 2 seconds, not 4 seconds. He gave me 4-second counts (or more), which wiped me out since I wasn't exactly letting the bar rest on my chest.


Pullups: 8@50, 3x8@45
Dips: 8@50, 3x8@45
Done as a superset. Lightened the weight a little bit because I didn't want to wear myself out on a volume day.

I think I'm going to switch around some of my exercises on my bench days. I'm currently doing: [Bench: Bench, Dumbbell Bench] [Lockout: Speed Bench, Pause Bench], but lockout is still a weakness for me. Of all of these, I think that dumbbell benching does the least, but I can't do pause benching after regular benching because it puts too much stress on my elbows, so I think I'll try this instead: [Bench: Bench, Speed Bench] [Lockout: Board Press, Pause Bench].

No comments:

Post a Comment