Thursday, December 10, 2009

Frank (12/10): RTS Volume, Bench

This was a miserable failure of a day. I ran/walked to the Z (mostly walked). I think there was a fire around Central Square because my lungs started burning in a way that they haven't since I left LA. That didn't bode well for my workout, as you will soon see...

Bench Press
5x240 @ 9
5x240 @ 9
5x240 @ 9
5x240 @ 10
4x240 @ 10
I was able to hit this just two months ago (10/6), so I was a little surprised both by how hard this was and by my ABJECT FAILURE on the last set. Gordon says that I was a bit uneven in the last set. That just convinces me that I need to do more technique work. He also says that I only did four sets. He may be right...

I also think I need to start dealing with my bench a little more intelligently. Maybe I need to add back some speed work or band work. The "board" presses don't seem to have done much for me.


Dumbbell Bench (no pause)
4x100 @ 9
4x100 @ 9
4x100 @ 9
4x100 @ 10
3x100 @ 10
Fx100 @ Inf
No pause because I was feeling tired. I could do 6x4@95 with a 2-3 second pause, and now 6x4@100 is impossible even without a pause? What?

Cable Row: 8@190, 3x8@200
For some reason, my pulling power never seems to suffer even on bad days. I wasn't that strict on form though.

Military Press: 2x5@145, 3x145
Whoa. After the third set, I called it a day.

One of the worst workouts I've had in a long time. I think I just need more rest.

4 comments:

  1. It happens to the best of us. I'm actually sick, AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank -- even when everything is 100% perfect, you can expect one bad workout out of 10. These days don't make sense, and there is no reason to over-analyze this, unless it happens more often (like 2/10 or more). People that always have good workouts either lie, don't know what this means, or lift with very little intensity (so actually, every workout is a bad one, not good).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I have no idea what was wrong with me on Thursday. Plus, my chest and arms have been super sore for the past few days, so it doesn't seem like a one-day thing. That is very strange.

    I won't let it get to me though. In any case, I'll have a few weeks at home with so few weights that the only productive workouts will be my bench workouts, so maybe I can make some good progress there =).

    ReplyDelete