Thursday, December 10, 2009

JC (12/10)- Snatch

Hey guys,
So today I had my second Oly training session here at the Z. I decided to work on snatch to see where I was at. Didn't really have a planned session- I just added kilos to the bar until... well, you'll see:

20 kg- 3x5
25 kg
30 kg
35 kg
40 kg
45 kg
50 kg
55 kg
60 kg- 1x1
65 kg- 1x1
70 kg- 1x1 Best PR
75 kg- Fail #1
75 kg- Fail #2

So each snatch after 45 kg was essentially a new PR for me. 70 kg felt relatively easy... Each 75 kg attempt made it past my head but I could not stabilize myself. I didn't really have anyone there to see my technique so I don't know what I was doing wrong. I wasn't too worried about technique today, though.

So for those who know me, I can be pretty ambitious and I think Oly weightlifting isn't an exception. My goal is to make at least 90 kg, but preferably 100 kg, on the snatch by the end of IAP, so that gives me around a month and a half.

Tomorrow I will try C&J. Comments/Critiques appreciated.

10 comments:

  1. Snatch is an extremely technical lift. Much more so than any of the powerlifts. Make sure your technique is good throughout or you will train the wrong patterns and limit your long-term progress.

    Same goes for C&J, but to a much lesser degree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nathan- yeah, the snatch is definitely hard. I don't think my technique was too off, but I'll make sure its good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just from my experience with my friend who does oly, and I don't mean this personally at all, I'm sure your technique needs a lot of work. Not that I'm the person to give advice, but unless you've been coached by an olympic coach (not a track coach or something), your snatch form is certainly lacking. The snatch is much more about technique and balance than strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second what Nate said. I used to do the Olympic lifts and got pretty decent for my size (82.5/120 were my best lifts, I think), but I stopped because my form sucked, especially for the snatch. I know you went to see a coach at Excel. What did he say about how you should train? Did he plan out a program for you? Did he give you assistance drills to work on form (snatch balances, overhead squats, snatch pulls, etc.)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nathan: What I should have said is that I will keep working on my technique, because it is nowhere near where it should be =)

    @Frank: Well, we didn't plan out a program yet. I'll be going again this Saturday, but I won't start officially until I return at the start of IAP. I'll ask what type of drills I should perform when I'm not at Excel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JC -- you just gave me motivation to do some snatches in between sets. I want to break my old PR, which is 65 kg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Danny: Haha, I bet it'll be easy for you to break 65 kg, no sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Danny does his snatches with a single hand, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, the 65kg record is with one hand. The difficult part is to stabilize the bar, because pulling it overhead is not a problem (I also snatched 75kg multiple times, but couldn't prevent it from falling behind me).

    ReplyDelete