Sunday, October 10, 2010

Frank (10/10): Lockout, Volume 2

Reverse Band Bench (20-75)
5x45, 5x135, 5x185, 5x225, 3x275
4x305 @ 8
4x305 @ 8
4x305 @ 8
4x305 @ 9
4x305 @ 9
4x305 @ 9
So I took the advice previously given and finally got around to measuring the band tension. I couldn't fit my yardstick in my backpack, so I had to use cubits (fingertips to elbows, I think, ~18") and hand lengths (fingertips to base of palms, ~7"). Here are my notes:
  • ZTP to lockout: middle finger length (~3")
  • ZTP to 45lbs point: 1 hand length (~7")
  • At chest: 75lbs exactly
  • 45lbs point to chest: 1 cubit - 1 hand length (~11")
According to this, and assuming I got all my math right, the bands give 45/7 x 3 ~= 20lbs at the top and 75lbs at the bottom. According to the calculations, I should get 45 + 45/7 x 11 ~= 115 at the bottom, but I'm sure there was measurement error, so I'll trust the actual weight for that end. Did I get all that right?

Close-Grip Bench
4x235 @ 8
4x235 @ 8
4x235 @ 8
4x235 @ 9
4x235 @ 9
4x235 @ 9
EZPZ

Pullups: 4x8 @ 45
Dips: 4x8 @ 45
Dumbbell Preacher Curl: 2x5 @ 45

In other news, Jon is leaving! Boo. It's too bad that we didn't get a chance to do a big get-together, but I wish him the best. Newport Beach beats Boston any day.

10 comments:

  1. I'm scratching my head Frank...I don't know why you'd need to measure the lengths, that stuff was just nerd talk. Just add weight until it hits where your chest is and thats how much it takes off at the bottom, and take off weight until it hits where your lock out is and thats how much weight it takes off at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even more puzzling, none of those involved in the discussion actually came here for undergrad. I thought WE were supposed to be the nerds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoho, I just got chided by the two people most likely to over-analyze their training. I don't know if I should feel honored or insulted :).

    But more seriously, I was curious about how much the bands helped at the top since my lockout was above where the bar naturally hangs. Knowing that the weight scaled linearly with distance was useful. The rest was just goofing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Probably nerd talk, but def not goofing. If you want to measure band tension from above you can do what Aaron said (and I said in my first reply to your old post). If you want to know what the bands provide when you tie them from below, you either have to use a scale, or measure the band tension like you did.

    I think it's worthwhile to know, especially if you're working on lockout.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I don't disagree. The goofing off part came from my half-assed and inaccurate measurements, but yes, it was useful to know how much the bands took off at lockout. For some reason, I thought that the force on a spring varied with the square of distance, but it's been so long since I took physics that I guess I got it mixed up with energy...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these measurements are nice, but keep in mind that these bands age significantly. So whatever you measure now won't be true in a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's no maybe about it, with my superior knowledge of over-analyzing and OCD behavior, I will be able to properly observe force mechanics and finally bench more than 250lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hehe, no bigs frank. And good point Nate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, you make it sound like the bands have a lifespan of 6 months. Is that true? Given how much they cost, I certainly hope they last longer.

    And keep that over-analyzing OCDness. Life would not be the same without it :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Its not like they are going to stop working, but the weight they are pulling off you will drop a bit, especially when they are new.

    ReplyDelete