Friday, January 8, 2010

Brian - Chest Triples

Went to wrestling practice on Wednesday. Started practice @ body weight 166.5, finished 2 hours later at 162.1. Went home and felt really sore, beat down, and dehydrated. It's hard to get back into intense practices mid-season after being out of it for so many years.

My tiredness carried into yesterday. I was considering taking the day off of lifting but decided to suck it up and just do whatever I could. Looking back on it, I had an ok day.

Bench w/ pause;
Warmup - 45x5, 95x5, 135x3, 135x3
Working - 160x3 @7, 185x3 @8, 205x3 @10 (PR replicate), 195x3 @9

Closegrip w/ black pad w/ pause;
Working - 185x3 @7, 225x3 @8.5, 245xfail, 225x3 @9

Military press;
Warmup - 45x10
Working - 95x8 @9, 95x8 @9, 95x8 @9, 95x5 @10

Last set I changed my form and wasted a lot of time hanging out w/ the bar on my chest. Killed any chance I had at getting 8 reps.

After practice on Wed the coach told me he really wanted me to go out for the team and compete at 157... starting this weekend with a few dual meets in Maine. I told him I didn't have any interest in dropping weight again... did it for so many years and I'm done with it. I could wrestle off @165 but they're mid season and I'm way out of shape compared to the kids on the team - it would take a few weeks or months to get back into competition shape. I decided I'm not going to go out and compete this year given where they are in the season and the fact that I can't devote that much time while studying for quals. But, I'll still workout with them on random off-lifting days. The plan is to join up next fall and compete the whole season.

Assuming I pass my quals in 2 weeks, I'll be here for a few more years w/ 4 years of wrestling eligibility. Could be fun to make a run @ it again. Who knows, maybe I could even get good and make it a goal to become an NCWA all-american.

I'm doing the AAU lifting meet in Feb. I won't be very competitive for my weight-class (165) but by then hitting 240 bench, 300+ squat, and 400+ deadlift seem like really good but still attainable goals. Will be awesome to compete with the MIT crew in a meet. I think everyone should do it.

That's all for now.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome. That's actually a good showing after a wrestling practice too.

    Is it normal for someone of your height to wrestle at 157? That seems awfully light for someone of your height.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've definitely seen people wrestling 157 @ 6 feet, but you're right, it is definitely on the less-likely side. Ideally by next season I can be a solid 174 (steady body weight in the upper 170's). At that weight there will definitely be people taller than me... which will be pretty insane compared to what I'm used to. I don't think I've EVER wrestled someone taller than me during a competition. Will be a fantastic experience for once!

    ReplyDelete
  3. B, I think you would be very sad looking at 157. I already think you should gain more weight! =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the fuck is wrong with this coach? You are ~6 feet tall, so according to my data your body weight should be at least 250. To avoid being superficial (no point in arguing with science), I attach the relevant table:

    Height Minimal Weight
    ------------------------
    5-5 250
    ... ...
    6-0 250
    6-1 300
    ... ...
    6-5 300

    ReplyDelete
  5. heck yea! i look forward to this meet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL @ Danny. I'll start by getting up to 180 first and go from there! My new year's resolution has been to change my diet and really make it a priority to NEVER feel hungry. I think this will help me get there :)

    250 one day!

    ReplyDelete