Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Frank (8/4): Deload

I still felt kind of crappy today, but if I don't feel better in a week, then I think I just have to suck it up and start lifting for real anyway. Life happens, but you have to lift through it.

Back Squat: 5x45, 5x95, 5x135, 5x225, 5x275, 5x315
Deficit Deadlift: 5x135, 5x225, 5x315, 5x365
Ab Pulldown: 15x190

Nate also made a good point today about my deadlift accessory work. When I fail deadlifts, it's at lockout, which means I should do lockout work. I hate doing rack pulls for the same reason that I hate doing board presses: the limited ROM throws off my bar path, but I have bands now, which means I can do banded or reverse band deadlifts. Brilliant. I wonder why that never occurred to me.

5 comments:

  1. "Life happens, but you have to lift through it."

    Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to point out that sometimes failing to lockout is not exactly a lockout problem. What I mean is that some lifters are able to pull huge amounts of weight to knee height, but round the back on the way up. Then, with a very rounded back, locking out is almost impossible (mechanics suck). This situation is actually a floor-to-knee-height problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Danny: I agree, but I don't think that is Frank's problem. I have never seen him deadlift with more than a mildly rounded back, and even then he thinks his form is terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @JC: Hah, I didn't intend for that to be deep, but thanks.

    @Danny: That's entirely possible, but it certainly doesn't *feel* like my upper back is the problem. I'll have someone check out my technique the next time I know I'm going to struggle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Nate&Frank: I wasn't suggesting that this is the problem; just brought it up as an option. Actually, I don't have any reason to think that Frank has ANY deadlift problems.

    ReplyDelete