Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Frank (12/22)

Front Squat: 10x5@205
I lowered the weight because I wasn't confident about being able to clean much after several sets of front squats. That turned out to be a good choice, since I had to full clean the last few sets. Also, I have some newfound respect for Shanker's GVT training. This isn't my preferred routine, but 10 sets of anything decently heavy is pretty brutal.

Snatch-Grip Deadlifts: 5x3@300
I can't seem to hold on to these even with over-under, so I was restricted to triples.

3 comments:

  1. respect is good, i like it. But in all honesty GVT isn't really anything more than taking compound movements and beating them to death. Good for adding bulk/strength but only until a certain level. I don't think you, in particular, are missing anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that Shanker is no longer following the classical GVT routine, but rather some variant of it, that makes more sense for his particular weak points / preferences / etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, no worries, I'm not about to adopt GVT. I can understand its appeal, but I wouldn't have used it if I had access to more weights and a power rack. Since I only have 300lbs and no rack, I can't use real weight for any lift (except the military press), so I'm stuck with volume training for the time being. I'm also quite liking the volume/intensity cycles and the general programming of RTS, so I see no need to change quite yet.

    ReplyDelete