Sunday, November 22, 2009

Kik - 11/21/2009 - Intensity - Deads

After feeling not beat up at all by end of this week, I asked PBJ on Friday about their willingness to complete the intensity cycle with deadlifts, although we had considered earlier to drop this training session. Good enough for me; so we had another Saturday with heavy pulling. We just went in to see if we could get something done... Furthermore, I wanted to continue teaching myself in the art of thoughtless, belted deadlifts.

315x1 @8
/* belt on */
315x1 @8 felt slightly awkward due to the belt
365 FAIL !!!

Great, failing on 365 never happened before. Pulled it up to my knees, then my midsection lost all tension and back on the floor it went. Seemed to be a great start for heavy lifting.

/* belt off */
365x1 @9 this one came up ok, but still felt somewhat heavy and did certainly pop off the ground.

/* belt on, switchgrip on */
OK belt on again, now for 405 and belt training. I figured the reasons why I pulled 365 so badly
were grounded in my belt being in a shitty position, and using double overhand, since I forgot to change the grip. Somehow, I can never pull violently with double overhand. Before the 405 I tried to squat down next to the platform to "settle" the belt, and this did work.

405x1 @8
435x1 @9.5
455x1 @10 (PR by 10 lbs)

455 was a nice PR, and I was in deep spiritual harmony with the 13mm leather monster around my fat tummy. Prior 405 just flew up, as did 435 as an intermediary step thanks to the belt trying yo be cooperative instead of sabotaging my efforts. If I only could get it to be an obedient helper on squats...

9 comments:

  1. You'll just have to work on that belt, but it was definitely good efforts on these lifts. Are there any ways to break it in more than just a couple lifts a week?

    ReplyDelete
  2. -- Nice PR! You just have to become one with the belt.

    -- Maybe next time, double overhand up to and including 315, and then over-under.

    -- I still think that grip work is required for anyone other than beginners. For example, in my gym there are 8-10 lifters who can pull 600 or more, but half of them can't hold on to anything heavier than 500 even with over-under grip, and have to use straps. Unfortunately, straps are not allowed in competitions (remark: have to check IPA; anything goes there).

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Kik: Great PR! I can't wait till I break 400 on the dead. @ Danny: what kind of grip work do more experienced lifters do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jancarlo: here is what worked for me, without specialized grip work (see records below):

    -- Use double-overhand on deadlifts, unless this is not possible. Anyone can do this with 225. After some time, with 275, 315, 365, 405, ...

    -- Try DB rows for many reps (15+), without straps of course. Go heavy on these. Same thing with shrugs, if you like them.

    -- In general, don't use straps. They are not necessary, unless there is a good reason.

    CURRENT WORLD RECORDS IN DANNYVILLE^*:
    (1) DB rows: 120 for 55 reps.
    (2) Seated cable rows with triangle handle: MIT stack for 47 reps.
    (3) COC grippers: #2 for 20 reps, both hands.
    -----------------------
    ^* Federation rules: no chalk, no hook grip, can't stop in the middle, and 2-hour weigh in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a bunch Danny. Just curious, but what gym do you go to?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What Danny described is good for when you are starting out, but really experienced lifters just go to the pasta sauce aisle of the super market and open all the jars in a row. Try to get your best time down each time you go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jancarlo -- I don't know if our gym has an official name. It was originally part of a chain that has several locations around Tel-Aviv, but then owners changed (I think; never talk to these people anyway).

    Nathan -- yes, these are tips for intermediate lifters. The pros also crush soda cans, preferably the big ones like monster or amp, and also people's hands at receptions, weddings, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Or the gym. I mean, ow, I still remember some of your more enthusiastic greetings =).

    ReplyDelete