Sunday, November 29, 2009

JC (11/29) - Deadlift, Bench, and Military Press

Hey Guys,
So I took an extra day off yesterday, which is why I decided to incorporate deadlifts into an otherwise bench-only day. Also, the last time I attempted deadlifts I sucked badly, so I wanted to make up for that.

Deadlifts-
Warm-up- 135, 225- 1x5
275-1x3
Workset-
330@7 -1x5

I didn't feel too bad about these deads- I'm sure my form could have been better, but I'm glad I finished them all in one go. I guess last time I was just too worn out... Also, I use overhand grip when doing deadlifts, and I think my main problem during my workset was that my left hand gives out rather quickly. I need to improve on this...

Bench-
Warm-up- 45, 135, 225- 1x5
Workset-
275@7 -1x3
305@8 -1x2

I realize my workset was rather short, but I wanted to get a feel for where I was strengh-wise so that I know how much I should attempt when doing singles.

Military Press-
Warm up- 45, 95- 1x5
Workset- 140 - 5x5

Im feeling pretty good about the military press, and I feel this 5x5 routine will definitely increase my strength in the military press (I am adding approximately 5-10 lbs a week).

Weighted pullups (10 lbs)- 4x8
Weighted dips (45 lbs)- 4x8

Ab Pulldown @ 190- 3x15

Not a bad workout I think. Comments are appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. What's your weight at? That bench is impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aaron,
    I am currently at ~205 lbs. My current BP max is 315, so now I'm aiming for 325. I'm doing singles this Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. JC --

    1. Is it possible that you are under-estimating RPEs? For example, BP 305 for 2 reps @ 8, so max should be waaaaay over 315. I'm guessing at least 365.

    2. I think that you are not doing enough warm-up sets: 45 --> 135 --> 225 --> ... is for someone who is going to squat / pull / press 600. You need more sets in between: 45 --> 95 --> 135 --> 185 --> 225 --> ... This is not wasted time, and even elite lifters do it. Yes, it's "embarrasing" to press 185, because the only people who even touch this weight are those who can't press 225, but the embarrasement goes away 5 minutes later, with actual work sets. Plus, it's a lot more embarrasing to tear a pec, shoulder, ... and press 135 for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably am underestimating RPEs. I will start doing more warm-up sets... don't want to do 135 for the rest of my life...

    ReplyDelete